Haas-Lilienthal House

 2007 Franklin Street
Peter Schmidt, architect   1886

  This five-level Queen Anne is the only original Victorian-era home in San Francisco that is open to the public. Three generations of the Hass-Lilienthal family lived in the house before it was donated to the San Francisco Architectural Heritage Foundation in 1972.

   The house was built in 1886 for William Haas, a Bavarian immigrant and owner of a wholesale grocery business.   He moved in with wife Bertha and their three young children. The family and the house survived the 1906 Fire, which was stopped at Van Ness Avenue just one block away.

   The Haas family were members of Temple Emanuel El, the oldest Jewish congregation in the west, and had society connections. Their oldest daughter Florine married Edward Bransten, whose brother owned MJB coffee. Their son Charles, married Fanny Stern, daughter of Jacob Stern, heir to his uncle Levi Strauss. The family of  Charles’ cousin Walter Haas still run the jeans maker today.

   The Haas’ youngest daughter Alice, married Samuel Lilienthal, a successful liquor dealer. The couple moved back into the house to care for Bertha Haas after the sudden death of her husband in1917. The Lilienthals lived in the house for 50 more years, and raised their three children here. In 1929, the Lilienthal’s added a wing over the garage when they took in Alice's niece and nephew after the untimely death of her brother Charles.
   In 1973, after Alice’s death at the age of 87, the Lilienthal children donated both the house and many of its furnishings to San Francisco Architectural Heritage, a non-profit organization that promotes the preservation and rehabilitation of historic buildings.
Residence of William Haas, circa 1887
Credit: San Francisco Public Library


Visitor Information

The Haas-Lilienthal House is open to the public three days a week:  Wednesdays and Saturdays from noon  to 3 p.m., and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m..  Admission is $8 for adults, $5 seniors and children under 12, which includes a docent-led tour.   No reservations are needed.  Go to www.sfheritage.org or call 415/ 441-3000 for more details.

Architectural Heritage docents also offer tours of the surrounding neighborhood every Sunday.  Check the website for schedules and fees.  The house can also be rented for private parties or special events.

No comments:

Post a Comment